Weeknight Spicy Chicken Soup
- 1 prepared rotisserie chicken we've occasionally just used the rotisserie chicken breasts with good luck
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced (we use yellow)
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms or sliced button if your local grocer is out of shiitake
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 1 in " piece ginger peeled, chopped (we LOVE using the already minced gingerthe jar!)
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper a little goes a long way in this dish
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 4 Lime wedges for serving, or you can use about aor more lime juice once you've ladled the soup into bowls
- Pick meat from chicken, shred, and place in a small bowl (you should have about 4 cups); discard skin and bones.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 8–10 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Add shredded chicken, broth and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add spinach and divide soup among bowls.
- Top with scallions and serve lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.
That's it, really. It takes a total of between 15 and 20 minutes to prep everything and about 40 minutes to cook per the recipe. This recipe is easy enough to be a weeknight dinner. If you let it cook down longer or reheat it for lunch the next day, the flavors intensify and meld together even more. If I am planning to eat it the next day, I leave the spinach out and add it in right before eating. I adore this dish!