A trip to Ikea isn’t complete without lunch at the restaurant. We love the meatballs but can’t regularly justify the several hour drive whenever we crave them. Luckily, we’ve found a copycat recipe. The best part is we can make it with chicken products in addition to beef.
Easy at Home Swedish Meatballs
- 1 cup beef broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons flour or almond flour
- soy sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the meatballs choose your favorite storebought or make your own by combining beef/pork/chicken mixture add an egg and breadcrumbs (or breadcrumb alternative), a grated onion, milk or milk alternative, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix with your hands. Form into balls. If the mixture is too dry, add more milk. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
- Cook the meatballs in a skillet until cooked through over medium heat turning when browned.
- Heat the broth until simmering. Carefully whisk flour or flour alternative into beef broth or chicken stock until smooth. Turn the heat down to low. Add the cream or milk and cook gently until thickened.
- Season to taste with soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve over meatballs and egg noodles or peeled boiled potatoes.