Editor’s Note: Here at Dispatches, we are always looking for ways to help our readers do things. For some of our readers, that means helping navigate the working world, for others, it means assisting in the ever challenging question,“what’s for dinner?” For still others, it means figuring out how to balance family life with everything else. In an effort to aid in all of these endeavors, we have collaborated on this article written specifically for our readers.
Whether you have a home office or work for a company, keeping things well-organized will make it easier to be productive. You want to be able to find the things you need when you need them. It’s also important for correctly storing equipment and paperwork. There are all kinds of ways to keep your work premises organized. Here are some of the easiest and most efficient tips.
- Declutter: The first thing you should do is get rid of any unneeded mess. Clutter makes things much less organized. Clutter on the floor can even be a health and safety liability. The workplace is the last place you want to hoard things. If you have things lying around that don’t add to work productivity, get rid of them. This is the first step to a more organized and productive workplace and one of the most important too.
- Organize Storage: Storage is necessary for every kind of industry. Whether you need to file documents, store stock or keep equipment in one place, be sure to use the right kind of storage. Offices often fit cabinets and desk drawers with soft close drawer slides. These are practical as they can handle a lot of weight, allowing you to store plenty of things in each drawer. Things like storage boxes and lockers can also help. Make sure that you have a place to store everything you need from day-to-day. This can also help to make things easier to find.
- Desk Space: In many jobs, workers have to sit at a desk for extended periods of time. Having plenty of space will keep employees happy and give them space for organization. Don’t use too much room on top of your desk. You might want a few personal items, but leave plenty of room for your computer and other necessary items. Having a notepad and pen handy is useful for taking notes. Old documents should be put away in drawers and cabinets, instead of left lying around. Keeping your desk clean and tidy can also mean fewer distractions, making it easier to be productive.
- File Paperwork: It’s important to file paperwork properly. When it comes to finding forms, spreadsheets or other important documents, you’ll want to know exactly where they are. Use filing cabinets and sort documents by type. A simple paper tray can also help with organizing your paperwork. People all over your business will likely have documents to deal with. It’s worth finding a way to keep them all in order.
- Digital Organization: It isn’t just physical organization you need to concern yourself with. In fact, these days keeping everything on your computer in order is possibly even more crucial! Sort work files into folders to make things easier to find. You could also keep your work on a USB hard drive or even cloud storage to make it easy to access from anywhere. Making regular backups of important work files is also ideal. You can often use software to do this. This makes sure you don’t lose any work, so it’s crucial for keeping organized.