Sometimes I really want a good curry, but I don’t have time to toast the spices or wait for it to come together. This super simple curry from Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen is even quicker with our favorite Penzey’s Curry spice blend. Plus the best part is you can add any vegetables you have. I’ve used carrots, zucchini, broccoli and peppers with just as delicious results.
Quick Yellow Shrimp Curry
- 1 bag frozen shrimp medium shelled and deveined works best.
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 l can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or any oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons Penzey's Curry Spice mix*
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- In a frying pan, sautee the onions over a medium heat for about 5 minutes or until they become transparent.
- Add the spices and garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and lemon juice. Stir to coat in with the spices, then pour in the coconut milk.
- Add the peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped parsley just before serving. Serve with rice, couscous or quinoa
This takes less than 15 minutes, 20 if your vegetables aren’t already chopped. It’s simple, delicious and extremely delicious. I only wish there was a little more leftover for lunch the next day, there never is enough!
*If you don’t have the Penzey’s Curry spice mix, the original recipe called for: 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon coriander and optional 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
p.s. even our toddler loves this dish!