It’s not a surprise we love Japanese food. We are always looking for new recipes that everyone in the family enjoys. This is a great one that is easy enough for a weeknight and filled with protein and our daughter’s second favorite vegetable, peas.
Ground Chicken Bowl
This is a revised version of Soboro Don a delicious, easy protein filled Japanese dish.
For Ground Chicken
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ to 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp ginger We use the ginger in the squeeze bottle, it can be hard to find good fresh ginger here.
- 1 Tbsp sake
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce Dark soy adds a great depth of flavor to this dish
For Scrambled Eggs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, and cook the chicken until cooked through. Tip: cook without breaking until browned, then flip and cook until browned again. Then break it up.
- Add sake, sugar, and mirin.
- Add the ginger (Be careful! The ginger may pop!)
- Cook until the liquid is almost gone. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and add sugar. Mix well until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Heat oil in the frying pan over medium-low heat and pour in the egg mixture.
- Break the egg into small pieces. When it’s cooked through, transfer to another bowl.
- To serve add some rice to a bowl. Then add the chicken, egg and peas. You can use sesame seeds as a garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!