With the recent addition of egg, wheat, cow milk and corn allergies (no one panic, it isn’t EpiPen level allergies just allergies we have to be mindful of on a daily basis.), we’ve tried to find ways to change up our favorite dishes to accommodate these changes. For Christmas dinner this year, we decided to make mashed potatoes in the InstantPot we got earlier in the day.
InstantPot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes you can use more or less, we used our InstaPot inner pot as the measurement and a two pound bag fit well for us.
- 5 cupes water you may need more or less
- salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan Butter to taste
- starch water or broth If you accidentally drained all the starch water you can use broth.
- Peel and cube the potatoes (this does not have to be perfect).; Add potatoes to Instant Pot and add enough water to slightly cover the potatoes. (For us, this was about 5 cups of water).; Secure the InstantPot lid and set the pressure release to Sealing. Select the Steam setting. Set the cooking time for 4 minutes at high pressure (we did normal pressure and it was also fine). Of note, the pot will take between 10 and 15 minutes to come to pressure before the cooking program begins. ; When the cooking program ends, perform a quick pressure release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting. Open the lid.; THIS IS IMPORTANT: Reserve at least 2-3 cups of the cooking liquid (starch water). Drain the rest. ; Return the potatoes to the pot, add 1 cup at a time of the water and mash until you reach your desired consistency. For us, this was about 2 cups.; Add your favorite vegan butter spread and mash a bit more. ; Season with salt and pepper.; ; - If not serving immediately, close the lid. If you'd like to Air Fry some shallots (julienne the shallots, toss in olive oil and cook at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, checking and shaking occasionally) those add an extra burst of flavor.
- You can also add garlic at steps 3, 6 or 7