We love sushi. This deconstructed sushi stack is an easy weeknight meal that tastes delicious and is super simple to make, especially if you use precooked shrimp and precooked rice! Even our five-year-old loves these and calls them “shrimp cakes.”
Spicy California Shrimp Stacks
- 1 cup cooked rice we're partial to Jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 pound cooked shrimp peeled and tails removed
- 2 cucumbers diced and seeds removed
- 1 medium avocado mashed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- soy sauce or Ponzu sauce to taste Ponzu tastes better!
- Spicy Sauce
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions. When rice is done, add rice vinegar and stir.
- Cut shrimp into 1-inch cubes (sometimes we leave them whole).
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sriracha sauce.
- Using a 1 cup dry measuring cup, layer ¼ cup cucumber, then 2 tablespoons of avocado, then ¼ of the shrimp, and 1/3 cup rice.
- Carefully turn the cup upside down to turn the stack out onto a plate, lightly tapping the bottom of the cup if necessary. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Ponzu sauce and sriracha mayonnaise.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.