J and I are always looking for ways to incorporate more fish in our diet. After tasting the AMAZING Fish and Chips at our new favorite restaurant 44 Stone, we decided to try our hand at recreating the dish at home. We came close.
J’s Fish Fry
- 4 filets tilapia or other firm white fish such as cod
- batter of your choice we used McCormick Fish Fry
- Baking Potatoes skinned, sliced and soaked in cold water, that’s the secret cold water
- oil we used vegetable
- For fries: Heat oil in skillet (we used a cast iron skillet). Pat the sliced potato dry and slowly add to the hot oil. Fry about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil onto paper bag. For squishy fries, salt and serve. For crisper fries, pat dry and add them to the oil for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- For fish: Coat in batter. Slowly add to the hot oil. This will puff up immediately. Try not to add other pieces on top of each other as they will stick. Fry about 3 minutes per side. Use metal tongs to flip once. Remove from oil with tongs. Place on paper bag to drain. Fish is done when it is flaky. Serve with a spinach salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
3 thoughts on “J’s Fish Fry”
Tell J his Pappaw would be proud of him. He was a master at fish frying! Especially catfish and hushpuppies. Oh how I long for those days sitting on the back porch watching him fry them up and filling up on the hushpuppies before I even got to the table.
Will do, K! Thanks again for the book of memories and recipes! We’re looking for excuses to start making some of them!