Whether you are a receptionist or not, you should follow some basic phone etiquette in the office. These tips are for calls from both co-workers and clients.
- speak slowly and clearly
- use your normal tone
- do not eat or drink while on the phone
- give the caller your full attention
- move the phone away from your mouth if you are going to sneeze or cough (a please hold on just a moment usually works)
- try to avoid personal calls (that’s why you have a cell phone!)
- always return calls, even if your co-worker didn’t leave a message
- if you accidentally call the wrong extension wait for the person to answer and tell them so or leave a message apologizing
- be polite
- be patient
Do you have other suggestions?