We had some leftover mozzarella from making pizza and decided to make these as an amuse bouche, since we didn’t have any bread for the original. I could have eaten only these for dinner!
Best summer garden snack or amuse bouche
- in Good mozzarella cheese we find out favorite kindthe deli cheese case at our local grocer
- Basil we used fresh from the garden
- olive oil we used extra virgin
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- We have found the best flavor comes from the broiler. Line your favorite baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice or wedge your tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil. If you want to add garlic, you can do that now.
- Slice the mozzarella. If the cheese is slightly bigger or smaller than the tomatoes, that's ok! It will melt.
- Add to the pan oven under the broiler. If using the broiler on high, don't walk away, the dish will burn faster than you might think it will!
- When the cheese starts to slightly brown and bubble remove it the oven.
- Drizzle with the balsamic and top with a basil leaf.
- Allow to cool a bit before eating.
So delicious. The next time it’s too hot for a whole meal and we have left over mozzarella, I’ll make this as a stand alone dish. I didn’t even miss the bread (which is how this is traditionally made)!