Today I had the opportunity to attend a Toastmaster’s open house with one of my co-workers. If you’re looking to become a better speaker, I highly suggest looking into this organization.
While I don’t think I will become a member myself, I know several people who have become much better public speakers and gained a great deal of confidence by attending these meetings.
Some useful public speaking tips from the Toastmaster’s website:
- Know your material.
- Practice. Practice. Practice!
- Know the audience.
- Know the room.
- Visualize yourself giving your speech.
- Realize that people want you to succeed.
- Don’t apologize for any nervousness or problem – the audience probably never noticed it.
- Concentrate on the message – not the medium.
- Gain experience.
More details and explanations can be found here.
I have found that stepping out of your comfort zone can be very beneficial. If my co-worker had never invited me to this open house, I would have never attended and never known what Toastmasters is and what makes their organization special. While the club may not be for me, I now know I can recommend Toastmasters to anyone wanting to become a better public speaker or gain leadership experience.