Sometimes we need a super easy, customizable dinner that can include as many veggies as possible. This is a dish we eat regularly.
Crockpot or Instapot Chicken Tostadas
This a super easy weeknight dinner that we make regularly. Even the preschooler loves it!
For the chicken
- 3 chicken breasts Frozen is fine, see notes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced or powdered
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 1 cup corn
- 1 avocado diced
- salsa We like the green salsa for this dish.
- pickled jalapenos
- 1 cup cheeses shredded, Monterey Jack is great in this.
- Tortilla chips or tostadas
- Turn the crockpot to medium. Add half of the olive oil to the crockpot. Add the chicken and chicken stock. (Note: if using frozen chicken, set the crockpot on high). Top with the rest of the olive oil and then sprinkle with garlic and cumin. Let cook for six hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with a fork.
- Add the refried beans to a pot on the stove top and heat or use a microwave safe bowl and cook following the can directions.
- On your favorite chips or tostadas add the cooked refied beans followed by the chicken and cheese and then your favorite toppings.
- Add half of the olive oil to the crockpot. Add the chicken and chicken stock. Top with the rest of the olive oil and then sprinkle with garlic and cumin. Set the venting knob to Sealing Position. Set to Poultry for 10 minutes (if you are cooking from frozen you may need more time). Make sure the chicken internal temperature is at least 165 degrees before you shred. Follow steps 2 through 4 above.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!